Vacations are great time for kids to explore new activities. Enhancing writing skills is one such activity. You can encourage your child to start writing a journal or take up creative writing. I want to encourage children to write. Your child can benefit from journal writing in many ways, so go ahead and encourage them to start writing today.
Writing is a great way for children of all ages to learn who they are, what are their likes and dislikes, their interests as well as their thoughts and feelings.
These can help your child start journaling:
1) Gift your child a journal (diary, writing pad or notebook) of his own. And give the right to use as she wishes. Emphasize that the journal belongs to her and she can write whatever she wants, whenever and wherever she wants. Let her write freely. Let her put stickers if she wants.
2) Help your child write a life-book. If your child isn’t interested in journaling about herself, ask to consider writing a family journal or a log of a travel story.
3) For a very young child, a picture journal can be an easy start! You can support her by asking questions about what she did that day, then suggest writing something interesting that reminds her of that day.
4) Ask the child to write a thank you letter to help them learn journaling. Along with writing this way, it will also develop a significant sense of gratitude.
5) Give her the list of writing topics. Given here or any other interesting ideas, let her choose the topic that fascinates her the most and she starts writing!
- If you could go anywhere in the world, on summer vacation, where would you go? And why?
- Make a list of groceries that you think are essential for you.
- Tell us about an animal that you would like to keep with you as a pet.
- What is something that you would like to know more about?
- Tell us about your favourite book and author.
- What do you like about yourself and why?
- Make a list of the things you are most grateful for in your life.
- What would you like to say to the President of our country?
- If you find a magic wand, what will you do with it?
- Write a poem about your happiest memories.
Keeping a journal is a fun way for kids to develop writing skills at home. Apart from this, there are many ways which help in developing the intellectual and creative skills of the child. In case your child doesn’t like to write, leave it for a while and try something different. It might be more interesting for your child to talk about books or tell an oral story right now. Just offer a few different ideas and let your child writer make her own decision.
May you have a wonderful vacation filled with joy, love and laughter and yes, keep writing….
(Hindi Version of this article has been published in Indian esteemed daily. Read at – Pearl in Media )
Helping people lead happy lives -Nileema Jhunjhunwala